NOW IS A VERY STRESSFUL TIME FOR ALL OF US. HERE ARE SOME WAYS TO HELP MANAGE THE STRESS
1. Recognizing the main cause of the stress and anxiety - With a lot of uncertainty in the world, taking care of your family's safety and wellfare is top priority.
2. Reframe things in the context of a larger positive plan. What do you need to do to achieve and manage this?
3. Recognize that troubles are temporary. This too will pass. Don't get overwhelmed. Break down the things you can control and the things you cannot.
4. Highlight unavoidable responsibilities and add some positive activities into the mix. Here is what I have to do, and here is what I can do to make things more tolerable.
5. Perfectionism only leads to stress. Don't set goals or expectations from your family hat are too high. Keep some structure and routine.
6. Know your limits physically, emotionally and mentally. Know how to best blow off steam for yourself. Meditating, walking, yoga, a hot bath, whatever it is. Take a deep breath from time to time.
7. When faced with a large task, break it down into smaller tasks. Prioritze tasks and deal with the most important or most unpleasant issue first.
8. Make leisure activities and hobbies a priority. Enjoyment of life prolongs life and reduces stress, even in the most uncertain times. Start or finish some of those projects you never seem to have time for.
10. Avoid sugary snacks, smoking, alcohol, drugs, overeating and caffeine. Well, that's asking a lot. How about moderation for this one?
11. Retire and rise at the same hour every day. Keep a journal.
12. Find time to be alone for a little while each day. This is a very important one if you have small children at home.
13. Talk to a friend or family member (but not one who stresses you out!) Check in with the ones you love and tell them you love them.
14. Physical contact with loved ones reduces stress. Hugs and kisses solve a lot of things. Giving affection to a pet can be soothing.
15. Social interaction is important. When that is not possible to physically interact, pick up the phone and call someone that makes you laugh. Set up an online meeting with friends to make you feel closer to them.
16. Practice kindness and patience. Everyone acts differently when under pressure. Stay positive. We are all in this together.